Every day there is a new technology, new tool, new concepts, new design patterns ... etc, on the other hand there is an old system that may be outdated, but what if it is the best solution from the business opinion ?
You should take into consideration that your mission is to find a solution for a business problem without wasting the resources.
Your time is the most important resources you have and you can control, I won't tell you whether to rebuild or maintain but I want to raise some flags that may help you to decide, to help you, just answer the following questions:
- Do you have the time to rebuild an ultimate solution from scratch?
- Do you have the money that will cover your time?
- Will your business wait that solution?
- Won't your legacy system get the job done?
- Does your legacy system impossible to be maintained?
- You don't have problem solving skills in your whole company!
After answering the above questions, you will find the start point for your decision, and please, DON'T OVERTHINK it.